Monday, August 25, 2008

New Genealogy / History Database

We are now subscribing to Footnote.com, an original historical document and genealogical research site with over 41 million primary documents online. According to the vendor, many of these documents have never been on the Internet before. The majority of the documents come from a partnership with the National Archives. While I am purchasing it from the genealogy materials budget, I see a lot of historical information of value here as well.

Anyone from home can search within the database - and see a snapshot of the results. If they want to print out or view the entire document, they must use a computer within the Library. What is unique about this product is that patrons can create free user accounts at home. They can save their search results and then sign in when they come to the Library. With their accounts, they can add comments or annotations to items online. The search interface is slick and divided into time periods and then further subdivided from there. Please take a look at this new tool!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dig it. The interface is pretty cool.

Evan