Find news of interest to the entire staff at Plymouth District Library. Please join us in contributing to this blog!
Monday, July 28, 2008
New Rival to Google?
Today, Cuil.com was released. This search engine, created by an ex-Google employee, is touted to search even more information that Google. Well, I had to give it a try. I searched under my last name, which is fairly unusual, to see what kind of results I'd get. I ended up with literally hundred of entries. I noticed that each and every post I'd ever made to a listserve was included, even one where I was talking about using Gopher, which had to be at least 15 years ago. Pretty scary, huh. Then I noticed that often graphics were displayed next to the entries which had nothing at all to do with the information. One was pretty raunchy, especially considering it was connected to a posting about blogging software. When I got to the last few pages of results, they had nothing to do with me or the Petlewski name. Some were even in Spanish. Considering everything, I wasn't impressed with this newest entry to the search engine offerings. I suggest you all give it a try, however. "Cuil yourself" rather than just Google yourself. You may find some strange stuff, indeed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
A couple quick comments. . .
First, I can see what you mean by getting inappropriate pictures. I just found one that had a group of people saying "I hate the U.S.A." That is absolutely horrible!!
Also, how do you get beyond the first page of matches.
Freeky - it even brings up the page that has all of our phone number extensions at the library.
Post a Comment